Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What customers don't give a yuck about

I just stumbled over this fantastic blog post, called 50 Things Your Customers Wish You Knew by Sonia Simone at Remarkable Communication.

It isn't new, but that doesn't matter.

It resonated with me (it could be the hours spent getting new passports today involving numerous trips to CVS for photos). And I just love her final point, reminding us that it is all about seeing things from the customer or prospect's perspective.

Here is a taste of the things Simone says customers wish you knew about them:


  • I don’t need you to be perfect, but I do need to know I can rely on you.
  • Telling me what you don’t know makes me trust you.
  • It means a lot when you take the time to thank me for my business or a referral.
  • You don’t need to do all that much to be a superhero. Just do exactly what you say you will do.
  • A friendly voice on the other side of the phone means more than you can imagine.
  • Your employees treat me about as well as you treat them. So right!
  • I don’t mind spending the money, as long as I feel I’m getting real value.
  • My life is really stressful. If you can reduce that stress, you become immensely valuable to me. (This one is so true! Don't you just wish you could outsource the stress, the choices, the decisions?)
  • I want to tell you what would make this relationship better for me. Why don’t you ever ask me?
  • I don’t understand a lot of the messages you send me. Can you make them clearer?
  • My life is very complicated. If you make it easy for me to just buy a simple all-in-one package that I can use without learning anything, I’ll take it and be grateful.



Don't forget to read the rest of her post.

What would you add to her list? I am working on more ideas for a blog post tomorrow.

In the meantime, one way to test of whether your company thinks too much about itself is Future Now's we-we calculator.

And thanks for the reminder about this great post by Simone from Mike Stelzner's site --- a great resource for any B2B marketer interested in whitepapers.


Share/Save/Bookmark