Friday, September 19, 2008

Social networking? What's that?

This chart shows 58% of adults worldwide don't know what social networking is.

Does that surprise you?


Not me. I often see social media types clustered together at parties after normal people (read those who think Twitter is a bird call) have started to roll their eyes while we talk about Twitter or vlogging or the latest study.
That's why it is hard to believe one new study that says 75% of companies allow employees to social network for business in the office.


Some people haven't even discovered social media while those who do could be tiring of it ...

Greg Verdino from Crayon writes about another recent study that found "36% percent of current social network members report that they are already losing interest (in social networking). That number is higher -- 45% -- here in the good ol' US of A. How does that jive with your personal behavior? Do you find that you maintain your Facebook profile less vigorously than you once did? That it takes you longer and longer to get around to approving LinkedIn connection requests?"


He says, "If I'm being honest with myself, I'd have to answer most of those questions in the affirmative. If I didn't earn my bucks doing what I do for a living, I might have already let most of my social networking activity go dark."


I am with him. Sometimes, I love social media and my online friends. Other times, I get a bit sick of it. Particularly now that the weather is perfect for a walk with a friend.

Have a good weekend.



Posted by Internet Marketing Report Online editor Julie Power Friday September 19.


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Mekhismom said...

I have let go many of the social media sites that were very novel to me at one time. I found that they were a complete time suck. Now I utilize the ones that will help me market my business and blog and visit the others infrequently.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that social media is really helping my websites. Because until now i don't say the referring sites from social media where i submitted my link to it.