Monday, September 29, 2008

One size doesn't fit all

Guilty as charged, your honor.

Ever sent one of these messages? “Since you are a person I trust, I wanted to invite you to join my network on LinkedIn.”

Don't be a slacker. Send a personal note when you send in a Linkedin.com invitation


Whether you use Linkedin or another social network, there's no excuse for sending a proforma request like this, argues Kevin Dugan in "Are PR Tools Bad Form?"

One size doesn't fit all, he says.

I cringed with guilt when I read this post about uses and abuses of modern networking and social media tools. I know better than to do these things but I've done 'em.

He suggests: "So take 10 more seconds and write someone a personal note. Those 10 seconds will make a big impact. So many people take the short cut it’s not really helping them."

"Eschew shortcuts that are really creativity cuts," he writes.

Read more at The Bad Pitch Blog: Are PR Tools Bad Form?


Posted by Internet Marketing Report Online editor Julie Power.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: