Monday, July 21, 2008

Ode: When you fall in love with a robot ...



I have fallen in love with the iRobot vacuum cleaner. Now I understand just how Eva feels about Wall-e.

It all started when when I reviewed the iRobot Web site. I loved it. The robots had been used to disarm bombs. If they could do that without humans, the Roomba robotic vacuum cleaner could handle my house.

I begged for one for my birthday. It is not as pretty as an expensive ring or as romantic as a holiday, but when you are an old parent with young kids and bad knees, it is hard to beat.



How do I love thee iRobot?


Let me count the ways:



  • You anticipate my needs. When stuff got stuck in the brushes, I found this little sticker on your nether regions, "Clean brushes regularly. www.irobot.com/support." Isn't that smart? Slacker housekeepers like me take three days to find paper instructions, manuals and directions.

  • You have a pretty Web site. Not just pretty, as I wrote back in February when my love for you surged, it is helpful, interesting and easy to use. You also let me network with all your other lovers, you beast. At least, we can bitch about your one or two foibles (fussy, fussy, walking around eggshells.)

  • You do all the the sucking so I don't have to do. That's your slogan. And it is true. I can tap, tap, tap away in my office while you pick up the kids' grungy breakfast bits off the floor.

  • You make pretty music. When you are finished, you make sweet music to tell me that you're done. Much better than the usual around here, "Mum!!!!!! I'm done. You can come wipe my bottom now!"

  • You have filled our household's need for a pet. My six-year old boys were desperate for a dog, a cat, a guinea pig, you name it. Now that you are here, dear robot, the requests have gone. Instead, they run around the room saying, "Here iRobot, here good robot."

    Posted by Internet Marketing Report Online editor Julie Power on Monday July 21.


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Mike Buckley said...

What a great post. When you make things out of plastic and metal you don't always think about the emotional attachment someone may have to the final product.

But I love my power washer and I love my iPod and I love my convertible so I suppose it's a fairly universal phenomenon. Thanks for sharing.

Jared Bilski said...

Great post! Not only very informative, but also very entertaining.

Love the blog and look forward to checking out what you post each day.

Paul N. Leroux said...

I wanted to buy an iRobot, but my wife is concerned about how our Schnauzers may react -- utter pandemonium being one of the possible outcomes. :-)