Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hot to shop: Collecting and mining e-mail addresses

A heart of shoes from www.polyvore.com

Is it just me or have you also noticed that companies are getting more aggressive and innovative about how they collect e-mail addresses?

Here are two examples, where the companies used the info while the buyer was hot to shop, sending an e-mail within hours of sign-up.

Case one: I was at DSW Shoe Warehouse in Bethesda recently when I noticed the store was swarming with shop assistants carrying bags, to encourage us to buy lots of shoes, and sign-up forms for their e-mail promotions and loyalty club.

These women seemed to have been hired for the purpose of encouraging sign-ups, and they made it very attractive (offering to hold my stuff, promising that I could use the first discount that morning and bringing back my new membership card within minutes.) And what did I find in my inbox the next morning? A very nice introductory note outlining all the benefits and savings ahead, and reminding me they were voted best rewards program by Kiplinger.

Case two: Uno Chicago Grill has introduced large touchscreen kiosks to get patrons to sign up. Writing in the DMNews, Matt Blumberg, CEO of Return Path, said the touchscreen kiosks have a large hard-to-miss call to action. They ask for the usual details (e-mail address, date of birth and password) and they're fast and easy to use. Best of all, the new subscriber has an e-mail waiting by the time he or she gets home.
And the company followed up by sending an offer on the user's birthday.
Posted by Internet Marketing Report Online Julie Power on Wednesday July 9 at 1 p.m.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: