Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pandora: Letting customers turn the dial and take control

These days it's all about letting prospects choose what they want and when

I've been loving and listening a lot lately to Pandora, the music genome project. You can make your own online radio station. After seeing a bunch of movies recently that had Cat Steven's music in the background, I had a yearning to listen to Cat again. Tea for the Tillerman was the first album I bought, followed by Neil Young's After the Goldrush. That makes me ancient.

Anyway, as I sit typing, I am listening to Cat Steven's radio, my own station, with lots of stuff (now the Beatles) that the genome project has matched up as belonging in this group. I get to rate the selection, say which one fits, which one doesn't. And it is this process of continual review by other listeners that streamlines the selection. We also have a ska station and a Sam and Dave station.

And how does this relate to marketing? Well, isn't this what we all want these days? We want our info, our music, our television, our ads, to reflect our tastes, our dreams, our sentimental old hankerings ... And we want it when we want it, not when the company wants to deliver it to us.

It's all about me (the consumer) and not you (the company.)

Are we opening a Pandora's box? Yep, there's bound to be some fall out for traditional marketing but this new model seems to make more sense.

Posted by Internet Marketing Report Online editor Tuesday March 11 at 1 p.m.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: